I am currently reading Sheryl Sandberg’s book Lean In. It has been touted as a
feminist manifesto. I don’t know about that, I think there are as many versions
of feminism as there are women. I agree
with her basic premise that men and women are different and that women will
never move forward until they take responsibility for their own success.
Sandberg mentions something at the end of chapter 4 that
caught my eye. Anyone who has read the
book and knows me has probably been waiting for this blog post. She mentions that women fall victim of “Tiara
Syndrome”. According to the book this phrase
was coined by Carol Frohlinger and Deborah Kolb, founders of Negotiating Women,
Inc. This syndrome is basically the “believing
that good job performance will naturally lead to rewards.” “Women expect that
if they keep doing their job well someone will notice them and place a tiara on
their head.”
Sandberg says to not sit around waiting for power, because
like the tiara it may never materialize.
I think Sheryl needs to come hang with me. Yes, women need
to seek promotion and believe they deserve it…but if there isn’t
recognition in your immediate future, not everyone is always in a position for
upward mobility or a new opportunity..
…put your own damn
tiara on your head!
Sandberg, Sheryl
(2013-03-11). Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead (p. 63). Knopf
Doubleday Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
No comments:
Post a Comment